Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Godmodding



For those lucky, here's the raw version of Plain vs Neave (2/3). I did this after finishing SAT practice. :>

Giddy, not so happy ramble time:
I've noticed though, not only with Plain, but with all of my characters... they are all over powered with ridiculous ranks and connections. Logan's the strongest swordsman in the world. Domovoi has 392905732048 talents. James can shoot down anyone without even having to give a single turn of his head. I can go on about all of these characters. It's odd that all of my characters are incredibly strong and I never really developed one that was externally weak. The original idea for One in a Million was that everyone has already heard of the journey where people fought and won the battle and powered up and up and up until they could defeat the big boss at the end, so I figure that we ought to make a story where everything is done. There's no more to power up. There's no new weapon to find. There's no enemies. There's just the character. And he has nothing to do, no where to go. Everything is peaceful to the point where it is sickening for the protagonist. But the thing is, I can't let that apply for Original Character groups. I can't allow myself the pleasure of having these amazing godmodding, yet internally unstable, characters anymore because it's really unfair. But I can't just have a powered down, normal version of the characters in O/M because the war made them who they are; the conflicts they had established their character. I know this is probably not going anywhere, but I don't know. I think I plan on either working on One in a Million or developing original original characters.




And I also crave for a hamburger right now.

5 comments:

PunchMe said...

did you just say...hamburger? It's funny how a hamburger would be the exact opposite of what I would want after being sick
You have a stomach of steel my dear
But anywhoways about OM, well what I think is that considering the concept and theme of the story is on a large scale, it would feel inevitable to have an eccentric cast to match the style of the story, so long as you don't make them invincable haha;; btw I love your OC's, I find them more lovable than irratble but I only know a smidgen of the actual story and a few character backgrounds
that's it I think I hope I said everything...
oh and maybe if you're not happy, tone down on their powers maybe? I hope I haven't offended you or anything. My Ocs are pretty boring haha;;

kogane said...

I rarely planed for any battles to occur with the trio until I run out of ideas and start a battle arc. O/M consists primarily of talking and talking and the occasional episode of mental breakdown... Gosh, I'm such a boring creature.

And yes. I want five burgers.
And a stack of french fries.

Andres said...

I was going to comment on that picture on DA...BUT IT ISN'T EVEN WORKING =T I was kinda bummed about that, I was in the middle of giving someone a llama badge and then the whole thing went corrupt. I was like...wtf?
But anyways, I can understand the way you feel about your characters. I knew that they were strong, but I didn't know they were THAT strong. I think it'd be cool to make them that strong, but you should also have as much equal focus to their wekanesses as well because people might not understand everything right at the start. People judge an OC just like they judge people. If you introduce them as that strong, then their going to get that impression. It's cool to do that, but you should add some leverage to it as well, ya know what I mean?

kogane said...

Well everything will be from Vanessa stand point. Not the narrative, but just the way that the people see the characters. It'll start with these characters seemingly weak in spirit and in character. And by the end of the arc, you'll be like well shat, those people are strong (but mentally unstable... why aren't they put into an asylum). At least that's what I'm hoping from people.

Though I do feel like after reading your comments, to lower them a down a bit. b:

Sharifah said...

A... hamburger. Right. You shouldn't eat that when you're sick. /wags finger/

If you're worried about your characters being too overpowered... I guess you can reduce their power or something. :U

Or take this test -> http://www.springhole.net/quizzes/marysue.htm